Why are so many people dying from COVID-19?
People are diagnosed with COVID-19 for many reasons. The common factor is that the patient or corpse has tested positive for the virus SARS-CoV-2 or is suspected to be infected by the virus SARS-CoV-2.
Most of the following cases will be reported as COVID-19 if SARS-CoV-2 is involved.
- Flu-like illness. There are about 1 billion flu cases a year, 300,000-500,000 flu deaths per year, worldwide.
- Pneumonia. There are more than 1.5 million adult pneumonia deaths per year, worldwide
- Lung infections. There are an estimated 3 million chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) deaths per year, worldwide
- Air pollution is a significant contributing factor to the above illnesses and others. If you die from air-pollution or smoking and you carry or are suspected to carry the virus SARS-CoV-2, you will be reported as COVID-19.
- Frailty from old age. If you test positive for SARS-CoV-2 or there is a suspicion for SARS-CoV-2, it’s reported as COVID-19.
- Natural death. If you test positive for SARS-CoV-2 or there is a suspicion for SARS-CoV-2, it’s reported as COVID-19.
- Treatment at a hospital with ventilators and morphine or opioids may kill you. If you test positive for SARS-CoV-2 or there is a suspicion for SARS-CoV-2, it’s reported as COVID-19.
- If you have symptoms that resemble the list of COVID-19 symptoms (cough, chills, fever, lung congestion, pneumonia) you may be reported as COVID-19.
- Any illness – is COVID-19 as long as you test for SARS-CoV-2 or are suspected to carry SARS-CoV-2, be it heart failure, cancer, diabetes, or any other lethal illness.
- In different areas of the world, there are different causes for illness and death. They are all reported as COVID-19 as long there is a positive SARS-CoV-2 test or a suspected SARS-CoV-2 infection involved.
That is why so many die from COVID-19!
This may sound completely crazy, but it has a rational origin:
At the beginning of the pandemic, the WHO designed a new form for death certificates. A small box called COVID-19 was added to the certificate where the doctor should tick if there was a verified SARS-CoV-2 infection or a suspected one involved.
Initially the tick was meant to simplify tracking of the new virus in order to facilitate countermeasures. But somehow it very quickly turned into a diagnosis for a new illness.